Other resources

Prescription costs (prescription prepayment certificates and free prescriptions)

NHS – for information on paying your prescriptions, identifying whether you are entitled to free prescriptions and annual prescription certificates.

Gov.UK - Medications or dressings particularly for digital ulcers can be very expensive to buy. It is possible to buy a prescription prepayment certificates (PPCs) from the NHS which may make your prescriptions cheaper.

Financial Assistance

Age UK – for a benefits calculator and a list of assistance you might be eligible for, such as bereavement benefits.

Directgov – all public services are available here.

Carers UK – offers up-to-date advice and support for carers in the UK. Provides a helpline if you would like an informal discussion about your situation.

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) and Personal Independence Payments (PIPs)

Gov.UK – DLAs and PIPs help with some of the extra costs associated with living with a long-term condition. The rate depends on how the condition affects you, not the condition itself. You can make a claim for a child (under 16 years old) via the DLA. Anyone over 16 years old must apply for a PIP.

Disability Rights UK – provides concise up-to-date information on all areas that you may be able to seek help.

Benefit Helpline – advice for disabled people and carers.

Travel to appointments

Healthcare Travel Cost Scheme – you may be able to get financial help if you are on a low income and need NHS treatment at a hospital, doctor or dentist.

Disabled persons railcard – if you are disabled then you can apply for a disabled persons railcard and receive up to 1/3 off rail fares.

Senior railcard – if you are aged 60 and over then you can apply for a senior railcard and receive up to 1/3 of rail fares.

Paying heating bills

For a Warm Home Discount contact you're supplier direct, also Home Heat Helpline

The affordable warmth obligation – this scheme may be able to help you make energy-saving improvements to your home if you are on certain benefits.

nPower – nPower have partnered with the Department for Work and Pensions and MacMillan Cancer Care to provide help for those who receive benefits or have a disability or critical illness.

Paying water bills

Watersure Scheme – if you are on benefits and have three or more children or a medical condition that requires a lot of extra water, then you can apply for your water bill to be capped.

Home adaptions

Age UK – Age UK offers a guide on how to adapt your home to suits you condition. It also suggests financial support streams.

Student accommodation

Disability Rights – Disability Rights detail your rights as a student and what you can ask for, depending upon your scleroderma symptoms.

Students Union – The Students Union at your college or university will have a representative who will be able to offer you advice specific to your location.

Related information