First Aid

You can get first aid advice from charities like St John Ambulance or Red Cross about the type of First Aid to have at your event.


If your event involves the public you will need to have Public Liability Insurance. Check with the venue first as they may already have insurance that covers your event.


The following activities will require a licence:

  • alcohol or entertainment, including recorded music
  • holding a raffle, lottery or auction doing a public money collection
  • putting up banners or signs in public areas

This list is not exhaustive, please contact your local authority to check which licences you will need.

Food hygiene

The Food Standards Agency provides guidelines for preparing, handling and cooking food.

If you are using a caterer make sure they have a Food Hygiene Certificate and Public Liability Insurance.


To collect money in any public place, you must request and receive permission from the local authority or company of interest as they will have rules and regulations that you need follow. For example;

  • To collect in the street or door to door, you need a licence from the local authority
  • To collect on private property, such as a shopping centre or a train station you need permission from the property owner such as National Rail, TFL etc.

Risk Assessment

Doing a risk assessment means looking at what could cause you or your participants harm and checking you've taken the necessary precautions to prevent this from happening.

It's a good idea to keep a record of the risks for your event.